The larger size makes it a two-year project. Workers will begin this fall by emptying the water out of the lock (aka de-watering) so the upper lock gates can be removed, painted offsite and re-installed again in time for the 2017 navigation season next May.
The lower lock gates will be removed and painted along with construction of the new lock building next fall and winter. They will be reinstalled and ready for the 2018 season.
Painting and other routine maintenance protects the gates against rusting, corrosion, and natural wear, and helps extend their lifespan.
The lock at Fenelon Falls was originally built as two locks close together—constructed and operating by 1887. They were converted to a single concrete lock over two years between 1961 and 1963.
The new single lock was upstream of the highway, lowering boats enough so they could pass beneath the Colborne Street bridge without it having to swing. It was converted to the fixed bridge that remains today.