The health fair will feature stations where participants can speak to healthcare professionals, test their blood pressure and blood sugar levels, and learn the signs and risks of diabetes.
Come and learn about the Family Health Team walking club, eye and foot care, Community Care CKL, RMH Cardiac Rehabilitation and “Heartwise” exercise links, sleep apnea, and the Diabetes Education program at RMH.
Bring your running shoes and try the SAGES exercise class.
The Diabetes Health Fair will be held at the Lindsay Recreation Centre (133 Adelaide St. South, from 10 am to 1 pm.
Meanwhile, here are some things to consider—and do—about diabetes:
• Early detection and timely treatment of diabetes-related complications can reduce its impact.
• Up to 70 percent of type 2 diabetes cases can be prevented or delayed by adopting healthier lifestyles.
• Screening for diabetes complications is an essential part of managing all types of diabetes.
• Anyone over the age of 40 should be tested for diabetes at least every three years.
• If you have type 2 diabetes, your children, brothers and sisters are at risk, and should get tested.
• If you think you might be at risk for developing diabetes, complete the Canadian Diabetes Risk Questionnaire (do an online search for CANRISK).