So they suggest that all residents consider the following tips to make their properties less susceptible to crime:
• Close and lock all doors and windows—including your garage door;
• Exterior doors should be solid core and equipped with dead-bolt locks;
• Don’t hide keys outside your residence;
• Trim shrubs and trees to eliminate hiding places;
• Outside lights should illuminate all entry points;
• Use an engraver or other permanent means to mark identifiers on valuable items;
• Keep a record of important serial numbers;
• Keep large amounts of cash or jewelry in bank or safety deposit box;
• Consider installing a security system, or if you have one, make sure it’s working and use it.
Seasonal residents should consider the following additional tips:
• Keep properties maintained so they look occupied;
• Have someone check on the property when you’re away.
Be sure you report all incidents of theft, attempt break and enters and actual break and enters—and suspicious vehicles and persons—no matter how insignificant they seem. Call the OPP at 888-310-1122.